Tackling Key Coaching Points
Tackling defines a football player, and it’s an art, not a science. Every player will do it a little bit differently.
Still, there are some basic principles you should coach at every practice:
- Focus — and keep — your eyes on the target’s midsection.
- Bend at the knees when tackling, not at the back.
- Do not lead with your head
- Starting contact below the ball carries shoulder.
- Hit with your near leg & near shoulder.
- Back straight, head up, butt down.
- Don’t get over-extended.
- Starting with your hands at your hips, rip up with your arms (like drawing six-shooters from a holster) to maximize power. Fork-lift up & throw into the arm pits.
- Unload your hips at contact to generate power.
- Hit on the rise with your head up. Change levels at contact from low to high.